Recent news. . .
2016-17 season- The Marian men finished 7-7, including ninth in the Great Lakes Conference. Kevin Ham earned first in Men's Sabre at the JV Conference. The Spartans also excelled at the H-F JV Invite with a third place in Men's Foil (Cole Chambers, Nicholas Josten, Kyle Kwok) and Men's Sabre (Ham, Jacob Nieto, Gabriel Richardson).
The Marian women finished 9-5 with a sixth place in the Great Lakes Conference. Kaylyn Bradshaw captured a varsity seventh in Women's Epee at the Midwest Open. At the H-F JV Invite, the Spartans earned second in Women's Foil (Angelica Beers, Ariel Castillo, Lisette Kelly) and third in Women's Epee (Bradshaw, Danae Conigan, Ashley Denton).
2015-16 season: The men's squad finished with a 6-8 mark, including a seventh-place finish among 15 teams at the Great Lakes Conference championships. Season medalists included: Varsity- Midwest Open, 7th in men's saber - Kevin Ham '19; Conference Championship, 8th in men's saber - Evan Wieringa '17. Junior varsity- JV Championship 2nd in men's foil - Quinn Kirchner '18.
The women's team finished with an 8-6 record and captured fourth place (among 15 schools) at the Great Lakes Conference championships. Medalists for the season included: Junior varsity- HF JV Teams, 3rd place in women's foil- Emily Recupido '18, Lisette Kelly '18, Ariel Castillo '19; HF JV Teams 3rd place in women's saber - Sarah Jackson '18, Christiana Moraga '18, Melanie Chio '19;JV Championship 3rd place in women's epee - Ugochinyere Ndukwe '18.
Marian Catholic High School fencing club is a club sport, which means we are self-funded. We have men's and women's squads in all three Olympic weapons, foil, epee and saber. Our season runs from late October through the beginning of February. There are no tryouts, although we encourage prospective fencers to try us out by attending Open Strip Fencing sessions in September and October.
OPEN STRIP - think "Open Gym" only with foils, epees & sabers!
Check the daily bulletin in September and October for weekly Open Strip dates and locations. Prospective fencers who have Athletic Physical Forms on file (or in hand) are welcome and encouraged to attend. Come meet the team and give the sport a try. Please wear sneakers (no school shoes or flip flops) and sweatpants or stretchy jeans - all other equipment will be provided.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN FENCING, SEE MS. ANN JONES in the Library.
TERMS OF MEMBERSHIP - All students who receive parental permission and agree to terms of club membership will be admitted.
1. Club Fee: Everyone who wants to practice and compete with the team during the fencing season must pay a $100.00 fee, due no later than the Winter Sports Parent Awareness meeting.
Club fees are used to purchase and maintain our equipment for both practice and competition. They also cover fees for all tournaments, as well as team t-shirts. We provide masks, plastrons, weapons, lames, body cords and scoring boxes.
2. Athletic Physical Form and Parent Awareness Meeting: Club athletes compete for Marian on the same basis as any other sport - all fencers must turn in an Athletic Physical Form and attend the Winter Sports Parent Awareness Meeting with a parent or guardian or they will not be able to practice and compete with the team.
3. Personal Equipment: Fencers are required to purchase their own jackets, pants and protective equipment. These items must be regulation fencing equipment according to tournament rules. We do a group order at the beginning of the season for anyone interested, which gets us a club discount of 15%-20% (depending on the vendor) and means the Club pays for shipping.
Items you will need to purchase are: jacket, fencing pants, a glove and (for women only), a chest protector. Total cost, with our club discount is approximately $90 for men and $120 for women.Some second hand items may be available for purchase - a list of available items and their prices will be available during Open Strip, first come, first served.
4. Fee Reductions & Discounts: Any fencer who participates in club fencing at either the Northwest Indiana Fencing Club or the Tinley Park Fencing Club is eligible for a $25 discount on club fees. Returning fencers whose families sell 7 or more tickets for the Marian Madness Athletic Fundraiser in March do not have to pay the club fee for the following year.
TRY SOMETHING NEW... TRY FENCING! Marian Catholic hosted Olympic Day, June 23, 2015 as the MCHS fencers joined with the Tinley Park Fencing Club and the Northwest Indiana Fencing Club to celebrate Olympic Day (VIDEO). There was as demonstrations and opportunities to try all three Olympic weapons - foil, epee and saber - as well as an appearance by '84 US Olympic Team foilist Michael McCahey. #OlympicDay
Fencing after Marian
- Sierra Jones '15 - epee, Wayne State University.
- Andrew Tolbert '14 - epee, first male member of the McKendree U. Fencing Team.
- Mary Hardig '14 - saber, first female member of the McKendree U. Fencing Team.
- Simiola Babayode '13 - epee, Cleveland State University.
- Aaron Cook '10 - men's foil at Purdue U; team captain 2012/13-2013/14.
- Emily Brewster '10 - women's saber, Boston University; 2015 Collegiate Club Championship 8th place individual and 1st place team; competed with the Imperial College Fencing Club, London, England in Summer 2012.
- Sandy Denton '09 - competed in Division 2, Women's Epee at the 2009 Summer Nationals held in Texas, finishing 22nd out of 118 competitors.
- Alex Block '08 - was employed as a fencing instructor at the Milwaukee Sport Fencing Academy in Wisconsin.
- Kathleen Halpin '07 - women's saber, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY.; assistant fencing coach, Culver Academies, Indiana.
- Stephanie Wegrzyn '06 - founded the fencing club at Columbia College in Chicago.
Alumni/ae - send us news of your current fencing activities and we will add it here!