About the Band
Reputation for Excellence
The Marian Catholic Band program has a reputation as one of the outstanding concert and marching bands in the United States. Over the past 20 years the bands have earned hundreds of awards and honors.
In the State of Illinois Marching Band Championships, Marian is undefeated in its class since 1980. This 33-year undefeated streak at state is unprecedented in any arena. The Spartans have also won seven overall state titles. In Bands of America Competition, the Marian bands have been named Summer National Champion five times: 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, and 1988; Class AA National Champion for 10 years, and Grand National Champion seven times: 1985, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1994, 1997, and 2000.
The concert bands at Marian have consistently earned Superior ratings in Illinois High School Association Organizational Contests. The Symphonic Band is undefeated in its class at the Illinois Superstate Concert Band Contest. The Marian Concert Band also placed first in its class at the State of Illinois Concert Band contest in every year attended. The Marian Symphonic Band participated in the first Bands of America National Concert Band Festival and participated again in 1995 and 1998. The Marian Symphonic Band has also performed at the National Band Association Convention.
The Marian Band is a holder of three Illinois and four Chicago Heights honorary proclamations, including a joint Illinois House and Senate proclamation in 1990. The band is also twice entered in the United States Congressional record in congratulatory commendatory messages.
Chicago Tribune video: Marching to Glory: Marian Band.
The Marian Catholic High School's concert and marching bands have become known from coast to coast as leaders among high school band programs. The Marian band's educational and competitive philosophies have been used as models for band programs in nearly every state of the union.
Recent awards and achievements include:
- Over 400 awards in the last 10 years.
- Undefeated in Class A concert competition since 1981.
- Undefeated in Class A marching competition in Illinois since 1980.
- Undefeated in "State of the Art" Chicago area Catholic high school concert band contest since the inception of the contest in 1980.
- Four times named the Outstanding Catholic high school concert band in the United States by the National Catholic Bandmasters Association.
- The second band ever to give exhibition performances in concert and marching band at the National Band Association's international convention.
- Seven time overall Illinois state marching champions.
- Seven time Bands of America Grand National champions (the only band ever to win seven times and the only band ever to win three consecutive times).
- Holder of three Illinois and four Chicago Heights honorary proclamations including a joint Illinois House and Senate proclamation in 1990.
- Twice entered in the United States Congressional record in congratulatory commendatory messages.
For more information, email the Marian Band at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (708) 754-BAND.